Apartment hunting can be a stressful endeavor for those looking for the next space they’ll call their own, but a few tips can really make things much easier. 6 apartment hunting tips you need to know before searching for your next place are:
1. Check your cell phone – You might think it’s rude to check your phone while on an apartment hunting tour, but it’s actually in your best interest. You don’t want to be left without cell service while at home during the course of your lease, so take a peek at your phone in the bedroom, living room, kitchen, and any other areas of the space you want to make sure you’re able to be reached.
2. Check the water pressure – You don’t want to wind up washing your hair or brushing your teeth with only a trickle, so make sure to turn on faucets and the shower in the bathroom and kitchen to be sure you won’t be without adequate water pressure.
3. Check all cupboards and cabinets – Mice can be a real pain, and many apartment hunters forget to check for their presence when looking at a new apartment unless the signs are obvious. Take a look inside all the cupboards, cabinets, and closets to look for small holes that could be indicative of a mouse presence.
4. Consider your furniture – If your apartment requires you to walk up a few flights of steps or go through narrow passageways, consider your furniture. The move-in process is much less painful when you’ve measured and are sure that everything is going to fit.
5. Take a visit during inclement weather – While apartment hunting and touring are best done on a nice day, take a look at any communities you’re considering when the weather is less-than-great. This will let you know if the roof is holding up, if the parking lot floods, or any other weather-related concerns you’d rather be aware of sooner than later.
6. Check your outlets – Bring with you a small cell phone charger or a lamp to check the outlets of any apartment you’re considering. This will let you know right away if the outlets are functional or if the electric in the space needs some work.
With these tips, you’ll be able to cover your bases and find the apartment you really want. To see what apartment we have available, contact us today!