Apartment hunting can be quite a task. However, if you know what you want and have a good strategy you can find a perfect home. Here are ten apartment hunting tips that will help you find the apartment of your dreams:
1. Consider Moving In The Winter: Let’s face it, no one wants to move to a new apartment in the winter which is why November, December, and January are the best time to find the perfect apartment. With less competition, you can find your ideal spot.
2. Identify Your Top Three Priorities: Do you need a washer and dryer? Do you prefer natural light, a larger kitchen? Is proximity to work a priority? Knowing your top priorities will help you begin your search.
3. Find Your Perfect Neighborhood: Explore different neighborhoods to see what appeals to you. Do you want to find something walkable or are you okay with a commute? Do you want a lot of green space or would you rather be close to the office? Identifying your neighborhood priorities can help you narrow down your options.
4. Be Nosy: When you take a tour of an apartment, really look around. Look in the closets and cupboards to determine space and storage. Run the faucets and the shower to see how the pressure is. Check your cell phone reception in every room.
5. Make Sure your Furniture Fits: Measure all your large pieces of furniture. Make sure the apartment will hold your larger items without cramping your space. Also, make sure that you can get your furniture through the doors and through the hallways easily.
6. Check the electrical: Check all the plugs in the apartment, turn on all the lights. It is also helpful to look where the television cables are located to determine if you need more lines.
7. Ask About Energy Costs: Ask how much the average monthly utilities are. What utilities if any, are included. Make sure to ask about parking for you and your guests.
8. Stay Organized: After looking at several apartments, trying to keep track of all the details can become confusing and stressful. Reduce the stress by keeping a spreadsheet or notebook with each apartment’s details. So you can make the right decision.
9. Be Prepared: Come prepared to sign a lease and provide a deposit. It may be helpful in to print out your credit report. Proof of employment and pay stubs will also help you get that desired apartment the moment you find it.
10. Ask About Apartment Policies: Ask if renters insurance is required. Find out when rent is due and how to pay it. Learn about their policies for pets, guests, and any other relevant information. A good apartment manager will have a packet of information outlining all of these things they can give to you.
Apartment hunting can be a bit of a challenge, but these ten tips will help. At Lockwood Family Estates we have 4,300 communities. So no matter what you are looking for, we have the property that is right for you. Give us a call to learn how we make apartment hunting simple so you can find your ideal new home.