Moving into a new apartment can be an exciting time. Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, there’s likely to be a lot of hard work and a little bit of stress. Learn how to avoid some of the common pitfalls that people make when moving, and you'll lessen the stress to make your move a breeze.
1. Letting someone else disassemble your furniture. Your dining room table and office desk will fit better into the moving truck when broken into separate pieces. Letting the moving company make the separation is never a great idea. Take your furniture apart yourself. This lets you take the time to do it right. Save the hardware in zip lock baggies so items go back together easily.
2. Taking too much. This is the time to purge your closets, basement, and storage areas. Even if you’re moving into a spacious apartment, this is the time to start fresh. Throw away or donate kitchenware you haven’t used in years, clothes you haven’t worn in seasons, and items that you don’t even know what to do with.
3. Leaving at the wrong time. Believe it or not, the timing of your move is important. Don’t have the movers arrive at a time when they’ll be pulling out into rush hour traffic. Plan ahead so you arrive at your new apartment before the movers do. If it’s a long-distance move, don’t arrive too soon or else you’ll be wearing the same clothes and eating take-out for days.
4. Not packing properly. Make sure that you pack your things so they stay organized and safe. Label fragile boxes and pack them well to ensure that items stay intact. And though some people use clothing as packing material to save on space and cost, it’s not always a good idea. Clothing can get stained and damaged if something leaks or breaks.
5. Hiring a shady moving company. If using a moving company, be sure to choose one with a good reputation. There are stories of movers canceling at the last minute and on-site changes to basic estimates. If you are moving long distance, meet with the company ahead of time. Plan every aspect to ensure a smooth and reliable move.
With some good planning, your move will be just the beginning of a new adventure. If you’re still on the hunt for a great place to live, let that adventure begin at one of the multiple apartment locations that Lockwood Residential has to offer.