New Year’s Day might hold the record for the day when most people make a change for the better, but springtime comes pretty close. Making new plans for your life seems easier when the world becomes green and new again. Buying a new car, changing jobs, and apartment hunting are common changes that people attempt to make, but health and wellness changes also commonly occur.
Spring is a time to evaluate your habits and make some changes for the better. Inspiration comes from everywhere as you see the world awaken. Birds are flocking, the days are getting longer, and the sunlight warms your face. Why not take the opportunity to make this spring all about you and less about what’s going on around you?
The first and best thing you can do for your health is to stress less. Meditation and mindfulness can help you recharge and regroup. This is a time when you need to unplug for a few minutes each day. Yes, changing jobs and apartment hunting can be stressful, but if you take things slower, you’ll find that it’s not completely overwhelming. Take a walk in the fresh air, without your phone, and take in everything that nature has to offer. The sights, the sounds, and the feel of the sun can lighten your load tenfold.
After stress reduction comes the easy parts. Lighten up your life and get healthy with these tips.
• Get Moving. Walk faster, bike harder, and make yoga hotter. Do whatever you can to increase your activity intake. Shoot for 150 minutes of moderate activity each week.
• Choose Wisely. Lighten up your plate by adding more vegetables and fruits. Choose lean meats, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. Make a conscious effort to moderate portions.
• Drink Right. Your body needs plenty of water to function properly. Substitute one glass for each sugary drink you imbibe and work your way up from there. Add lemon or cucumber slices to make it more palatable.
• Sleep More. You need at least seven hours of sleep each night. This lets your body heal and recharge so you have energy to face the new day.
• Kick Habits. If you smoke, seek help in quitting. If you eat take-out five days a week, learn to cook at home. Too much alcohol? Start reducing it. Make this your time to kick the bad habits and replace them with good ones.
Sometimes, the best thing that you can do for our health is to change your scenery. If your idea of getting healthy this spring involves moving into a new apartment, we have just what you’re looking for. Apartment hunting can be difficult, but with so many living options to choose from, it might just be the easiest thing you do for yourself this spring. Contact us today for more information.